Virginia Street Cafe, the buuilding, was originally built for Mrs. Ethel Richardson in 1939 on the site of Miss Betty Garnett's Urbanna 5¢ 10¢ to 1.00¢ store, which was moved to the back side of the lot. People came from all over the county to see the crane bring those large steal beams for the basement of the brick building. The store was then renamed to Ben Franklin 5¢ 10¢. There was a barber shop in the building at one time as well.
In 1989 the building became known as the Virginia Street Cafe as it still is today. We are currently in our 22nd year of business, and God willing, and the creeks don't rise, we will be here for many more years to come.